Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Tuesday: How to Clean Plastic/Vinyl Shower Curtains/Bath Mats Like a Pro!

This is so incredibly easy (like most of the things I post on here, let's be honest. I like to save a little time and effort when I clean). I learned this from my mom, who learned it from my older sister. Where she learned it from? I can't say. All you need:

Materials*Bleach
*Washing Machine
*Baking Soda



You can see my curtain was a little wrinkled after the wash- I'll
be honest- I didn't care. I wash just glad I didn't have to
buy a new shower curtain.
How?
Take your (plastic/vinyl) grimy shower curtain off the rings and put it in your clothing washer with 2-3 cups of bleach and 1/2 cup of baking soda. Wash on hot. When the wash cycle is finished, re-hang the curtain on its rings and hang it on its bar to dry. Good as new. Well, maybe not new- but it will get rid of mold, mildew and other gross shower build-up. Great for vinyl bath mats, too!

6 comments:

  1. I do this all the time, and it works like a charm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this all the time, and it works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can also use a cup of old hair conditioner and it works like a charm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. However if you put a bath towel in the washer with the curtain it will spin out more of the water. Especially if you put it in your dryer on low for just a couple of minutes to get the wrinkles out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup this is how I do it, too. My curiosity is about the hair conditioner, though. I know in general it can be used in place of softener, but what was anonymous trying to say?

      Delete
  5. Wow! This sounds so easy! I thought that I can ruin my plastic curtains if I use bleach or hot water. Thank you so much for the article! You helped a lot!

    ReplyDelete